Sunday, January 18, 2009

alcohol, broccoli, and the correspondence of one f. scott fitzgerald.


i'm feeling a bit out of sorts today. it was probably the pitcher of amaretto sours that i (over)indulged in last night or perhaps the tequila shot i had (my first ever!). when i woke up this morning i was feeling great and was laughing in the face of a hangover threat. you will not defeat me, alcohol! fast forward about four hours and a cheeseburger later. my stummy is rolling, and i feel like the ice pick we used last night got lodged in my frontal lobe. but what fun i did have! air hockey and guitar hero and knitting and the company of some very lovely ladies. since this is my day of the week to reflect on correspondence, i decided to check out a collection of letters from a very talented alcoholic, f. scott fitzgerald. a life in letters consists of fitz's writings to editors, ernest hemmingway (another of my favorite bottle battlers), his daughter, and zelda. he was a much more productive drinker than i am. (i'm still in my jammies. it's 8pm.) and it's edited by a guy whose last name is bruccoli, which sounds a lot like one of my favorite vegetables. i'm sold.

also, i fail at guitar hero but rule at air hockey. yes.

4 comments:

Lauren P said...

Ah...PJ's all day. How nice. I too would probably still be in my PJ's if it weren't for the fact that silly me signed up to run a 10 mile race 11 weeks. So my butt hit the treadmill and then a shower was called for. Speaking of PJ's, maybe I should get back in them. :)

Mrs. M. said...

I absolutely adore the Fitz. Although his work makes me very, very jealous that I was born in the wrong era.

x-ray iris said...

you read any of Sheilah Graham's books on her late relationship with him? I love the idea of the College of One.

miss jacobs if you're nasty. said...

i think that we are all in the college of one. and i'm bookmarking everything in which you recommend something to read, hooray!